Sunday 9 December 2018

Kibale Forest to Murchison Falls National Park


Kibale Forest to Murchison Falls National Park
Day 8: 5th December 2018

I started today's map about an hour in

Todays adventure was mainly about the long drive to Murchison Falls National Park, because of my knee we had contemplated laying down the back chairs so I could stretch my leg out a bit more. I took a teaspoon of cement and a Codral so I was good to go without the chairs laid out.

We had the packed lunch made for us, I chose the ham sandwich Lisa and Ronald had the Tuna. Included you get a banana, boiled egg, pancake, biscuits and a juice. It’s a really filling lunch, I wish I got those when I was a kid.

The drive down from the Kibale forest was a trip down memory lane for me as I had previously done it with Aunty. The road from Kibale to Fort Portal was brilliant, its amazing to see the difference in 11 years. You can say what you like about the Chinese but I can tell you they know how to make great roads.

From Fort Portal to the Murchison Falls it was just a drive through little villages and some bigger towns, the landscape and scenery is truly beautiful but nothing too exciting happened I’m afraid.

Once we reached the Murchison Falls National Park we decided to drive to the top of the falls and have a look around, but just before we got to the fall's we came across this school bus, thankfully nobody was injured.
 Top of the falls

I wanted to stand on this concrete block right next to (actually kind of in) the falls and get a photo of me there but as it turns out everyone but me thought it was a bad idea, something to do with slippery surfaces and my dicky knee.




So I decided to capture the falls with the smooth water effect, whilst I remembered most of the settings, I didn’t bring my polarising filter so I didn’t quite get it to work.

also got spray on the lens

We then headed to the ferry for a 6pm crossing, it was interesting to watch the ferry approach the dock as it was approaching at about a 45 degree angle because of the strength of the current. Also it reminded me of the song “don’t pay the ferryman until you get to the other side”

Once we were on the other side we went for a “quick” game drive. Ronald had been given the tip that there were some lions around so the mission was to find them, the down side to being so focused on seeing lions is that we saw lots of giraffe etc, but only at high speed.


We searched high and low, but jut couldn’t find them, we knew where they were but in tall grass it’s impossible to spot them. So after a fruitless hour or so we headed to the exit gate nearest our lodge, we arrived at the exit gate just before 8pm, and to say it was pitch black is an understatement. It gets dark at about 7pm and the Park closes  at 7pm as well so we were in a bit of trouble.

Once we got to the Fort Murchison Lodge, we basically had dinner and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment